MLK / FBI
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is remembered today as an American hero: a bridge-builder, a shrewd political tactician, and a moral leader. Yet throughout his history-altering political career, he was often treated by U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies like an enemy of the state. In this virtuosic documentary, award-winning editor and director Sam Pollard (Editor, 4 LITTLE GIRLS, MO’ BETTER BLUES; Director/Producer, EYEZ ON THE PRIZE, SAMMY DAVIS, JR.: I’VE GOTTA BE ME) lays out a detailed account of the FBI surveillance that dogged King’s activism throughout the ’50s and ’60s, fueled by the racist and red-baiting paranoia of J. Edgar Hoover. In crafting a rich archival tapestry, featuring some revelatory restored footage of King, Pollard urges us to remember that true American progress is always hard-won.
Samuel D. Pollard
JOURDAIN SEARLES, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER
COVID-19 FINE PRINT:
- Masks are required.
- Tickets will be sold in advance (online only)
- Seating capacity is limited to 8 patrons (theater capacity is 30).
- Seating options have been set up in pod formations to allow for social distancing.
- We will not serve any concessions.
- You may continue to bring your own, including alcoholic beverages for 21+.
- All customers will be expected to wear their masks at all times in common areas, restrooms and in the theater when not consuming concessions.
- All employees will wear masks and/or face shields while working.
- Sanitation of all high touch surfaces and theater seats in between all screenings.
- Venue will remain dark for a minimum of 48 hours between screenings.
By purchasing a ticket to mama.film screenings I acknowledge the inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and the fact that there can be no guarantees that a positive COVID-19 case will not occur despite any preventative measures. By attending the event or program I agree to assume all risks related to exposure of COVID-19 or otherwise. I agree to follow all mama.film procedures and practices related to COVID-19 or otherwise. I also agree to release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and hold harmless mama.film, its owners, employees, agents, contractors, insurers and affiliates, of all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs, or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating to attendance at mama.film events or programming.