values: community + compassion
mamafilm is a focused film series that creates a destination for mamas – of all types and in all stages – to be entertained, inspired, supported and connected.
Through on-screen representation, mamafilm explores and amplifies the evolving experiences and perspectives of motherhood, and builds bridges amongst a vast community of people who are united via our societal role as nurturer.
• ‘mamas’ come in many packages. They are not bound by gender or age, genetics or traditional roles. They are defined by the love and care that they give.
• Because we live in an age where we can talk about stigmas and expectations – and we often see these scenarios depicted in movies and media – collective viewing binds us through the fundamental reminder that the challenges and triumphs of caring for another are universal.
• mamafilm’s media selections will be followed by conversation with creators , experts and real life mamas, that will examine the individual and collective realities of “modern mamahood.”
• mamafilm is committed to representing the reality of a diverse range of mamas, across race, class, geography, sexual preference, ability and generation; and to supporting the work of creators, who are also nurturers.
vision: connecting mamas through shared cinematic experience
• As a mission-driven organization, mamafilm is in the process of applying for 501(c)3 not- for-profit status. This will allow us the opportunity to apply for community-building and artistic exhibition grants, cultural funds and to offer corporate and individual donors a tax-deductible receipt, as well as to serve as an incubator for similarly-aligned projects.
• mamafilm is purposely designed as a portable experience, to include the widest variety of nurturers we can.
• After its launch as a microcinema film series, mamafilm will seek partnership with other like-minded organizations throughout the community and across the country to facilitate destinations for connectivity.
• Collaborating organizations will include parenting groups, brands, other non-profit organizations, art house cinemas, movie theaters and more. Together, we will grow a network of nurturers and caregivers who are connected through media and conversation.
• mamafilm will also seek partnerships with filmmakers and storytellers, whose work exemplifies our mission, to foster and showcase their work through our exhibition channels.
mamafilm zeitgeist + dialogue:
Our post-film conversations will cover a multitude of questions, topics and issues pertaining to modern motherhood, for example:
- What does it mean to be a “mama,” or choosing not to be one?
- What connects and separates us as nurturers?
- How do we band together in support of one another?
- How do we deal with ever-changing expectations, responsibilities and conventions?
- How do we process the simultaneous feelings of joy and pain, insecurity and accomplishment, coupled with overwhelming fear, and love?
- How do we maintain our essential self-care?
- How does technology continue to change our obligations to the young?
- How do we handle the responsibilities of caring for the old?
- How do we pass on the valuable lessons of the past as they relate to contemporary culture?
- How do we unite to create an informed generation of thought leaders, changemakers and mamas of the future?
And SO MUCH MORE.